Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jammin'

It's strawberry season here in Alabama...I've been to the Country Best Farm twice in the last two days taking absolute advantage of it. We froze our picks from yesterday, but today...well that's a different story.

I grew up with a gardening, pickling, canning kind of mom. You would think that would make me a natural for following in her footsteps. I have to admit that I have never canned or pickled anything in my life...before today. I decided (with the help of the Pioneer Woman) to make strawberry jam with the girls. It was more fun than I could have imagined!

EG and I ventured out after she got out of school and picked these...
Photobucket

Of course removing the caps was all me :/
Photobucket

It seemed to take forever but I finally achieved this
Photobucket

We took a strawberry break and ran to pick Abigail up from school. It didn't take long before the girls were in full speed! They mashed...
Photobucket

And mashed
Photobucket

And mashed some more
Photobucket

Ahhh, done.
Photobucket

All measured out
Photobucket

Add a bit of lemon juice (please forgive the strawberry stained fingernails...I've been at this for two days :p)
Photobucket

EG helped squeeze
Photobucket

And pour it in
Photobucket

A bit of pectin
Photobucket

And 1/2 a pat of butter. The Pioneer Woman says it helps reduce the foam...
Photobucket

With all of the ingredients in the dutch oven Abigail ran off to make labels :)
Photobucket

Then it was time for homework
Photobucket

EG pinned on her cat tail and put on her ears and headed for the hammock
Photobucket

I manned the berries
Photobucket

Finally it was time! Out with the jars, one by one.
Photobucket

Beautiful
Photobucket

There it is!
Photobucket

Don't ask....
Photobucket

9 jars of wonderful yummyness
Photobucket

On toast
Photobucket

Mmmmmmm
Photobucket

The symphony of popping jars was wonderful! We can't wait for the peach and blueberry seasons!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment