Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Treasure from Merida, Mexico

"When we went to Merida, Mexico, from Mexico City for Spring break in 1964, I bought baby size guayabera shirts and huiple dresses in the Merida market. Some we gave as presents to friends and family with children. I kept a selection of both. The little dresses [huiple pronounced he-peel] remained in my trunk until Brian brought the girls for a visit on a warm day and I got them out -- just in time because Elizabeth was almost too big for them." Caroline Wilkins aka GranMom

That was about 3 years ago. Here is a picture of EG wearing the huiple about 6 months after GranMom gave it to her.
Photobucket
Yeah, it was a bit short...but I really, really liked it.

In fact I like them (there are two) so much that I have left them hanging in EG's closet all this time. Until this morning when I thought....why not.

I WILL get another summer out of these treasures. When it's all over I will put them away in a trunk and wait for my girls to come by with their girls (if we're lucky) on a warm day so I can get them out again.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Wow they are beautiful, and 2 years older than me!

    Aunt Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty little girl! I sure miss her!!! Love you all. Nonnie

    ReplyDelete