Saturday, April 18, 2009

Is it a Bluebird? Is it a Blue Tanager? No it's a....

By now it shouldn't be any surprise that I am obsessed with the birds in the backyard. Since we moved here we have made over 30 different identifications...and I'm actually proud of it. Last week something on the feeders caught my eye. Little, blue...make that bright blue, not a bluebird feasting on the seeds in the yard. Dozens of them. It has taken over a week to capture an image cause these things are super shy and seem to know when you are armed with a camera. This afternoon the girls and I were playing in the yard when they showed up again. I ran in the house and grabbed Abigail's camera (chasing them all off). I planted myself on the sidewalk beside the shop and waited. And waited. And waited.

Finally!
Photobucket

Right about the time I was loading the pics to the computer Megan, who must have been reading my mind since she is as bird obsessed as I am, sent over a suggestion...blue finch?
Photobucket

Nope try again.
Photobucket

Indigo Bunting. I dismissed the idea that they were Indigo Buntings when they first showed up...I couldn't even tell you why. Side by side pics from the yard and pics online...yep, Indigo Bunting.
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty sweet! We just have regular house finches (just like in AL!), black throated sparrows, and what I think is a Brewer's Blackbird. I can't stand the blackbirds...they scare off the little ones and eat all the birdseed! Any suggestions on how to keep them away? lol

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! we do have cardinals and an occasional bluejay, too, along with some kind of hawk I only saw out of the corner of my eye as it snatched up one of my sparrows!!
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can teach your hawk that blackbirds taste better than sparrows??? Or turn Guiness loose when they are seed hogging...that's what I do with Tory when the icky little brown birds are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor iky little brown birds.LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty...you must help me entice the woodpeckers onto the trees in my backyard. I love them and the little sneaky boogers go all quiet whenever I try to spy on them!

    ReplyDelete