Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gardening Enterprise

Growing up in the Northwest I'm not used to planting a garden before mid May. When gardening in Enterprise if you don't have plants in the ground by the third week of March you are way behind. I was determined to get it right this year. We started the process weeks ago.

My concrete garden before....
Photobucket

That's right. I'm not planting in the ground here anymore...too many deer, squirrels, cats, dogs and kids to interfere with the fruit we MAY be able to grow. Our solution....cattle troughs!

Layla likes it...
Photobucket

EG too!
Photobucket

Got them in place.
Photobucket

Bring on the dirt!
Photobucket

Korduroy doesn't look happy.
Photobucket

But that didn't stop him from playing in it.
Photobucket

EG played in it too...and helped me and her dad fill the troughs.
Photobucket

How long do you suppose it would have taken at that rate?
Photobucket

Filled with dirt and fertilizer....ready to go!
Photobucket

EG and I spent Friday afternoon planting tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, arugula, yellow squash, basil, and cilantro. We had a blast!
Photobucket

The Friday gardening inspired us to put pine straw out in the yard this weekend. When we first moved here I thought it was insane to intentionally put pine needles in your yard...here we are 2.5 years later doing exactly that. And I like it!

A couple of before shots.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here we are after.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Good work. Where did you get the pine NEEDLES? Layla saw the pic of her and said is that ME?? Of course I assumed it was EG and said PSH NO! THen I looked. And it was. Outsmarted by the 4 year old again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NEEDLES came from the local Lowes at the bargain price of $3.50 a bale. It was more work than I thought it would be....20 bales later and I was over it!
    Never assume you are right when a 4 year old is involved.....

    ReplyDelete