Friday, November 21, 2008

Just leave it alone!

When Megan and I first met we spent some time getting her yard set up to be bird friendly. I showed her our feeding set up and what we put in the different feeders. Megan has a TON of blue birds in her yard so I thought I should show her our blue bird boxes. We took the long walk to the back 40 to one of the boxes. I opened it, I don't know why...I just did. Suddenly I was face to face with a sugar glider. Cute, yes, until it lunges at your face. Oh yes, that's what it did...then it glided away. I was really sad when I heard little peeping sounds coming from inside the box. Great, she was a mom. I was sure she would abandon the nest now that I had opened the box. I would sneak back there every few days...just to listen, but I never did hear anything coming from inside the box. Several weeks passed and I decided to empty the nest. Maybe, just maybe, if the box were empty she would come back. This morning I took the dogs out to the back 40 for a little playtime. I'm sure you can see where this is going. I opened the box. There we were, face to face, she's baaaaack. It was just her this time. No nest and no babies (thank goodness). Did she lunge and me and glide away? Yes, yes she did. This time I watched which tree she went up, ran inside and got the camera. She was a darling and waited for me to come back. Here she is....my sugar glider.

Photobucket

I will keep my mitts off her blue bird box from this day forward....I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I skimmed over it but did you mention the detail that you poked them with a STICK before she flew at your face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp! I'm telling Kinidi you poked little creaturs with a stick. Ha-Ha no more favorite auntie for you! Thanks for the info Megan.

    ReplyDelete